Friday, September 7, 2012

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me #1)


Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.




Or if you would prefer this cover: 


"You can't touch me," I whisper.

I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.

He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.

But things happen when people touch me.

Strange things.

Bad things.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans on her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever



My Thoughts:
Alright. It has been a week or two since i read this, but bear with me. I remember this much... I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. too much? eh. oh well. anyway. Juliet is trapped in a cell in a dystopian world. She has not spoken to anyone in two years. She writes in her journal everyday. And she has not seen another person in forever. She was sentenced to her prison after an accident when she was still in school. While she is trapped inside her four walls, the world outside is drastically changing. Food and resources are becoming scarce and fun is a thing of the past. Now- since the world started falling apart- you do whatever you have to to survive. Juliet- oblivious to all the changes apart from what she sees through her small window, just takes it day by day- dreading the day the soldiers who guard the prison will come and put an end to her suffering. When she meets a person from her past- a boy thrust into her cell- her world is turned on its side. A chain of events soon follow that lead Juliet into a world of power and destruction. Someone knows what she is capable of- someone bad. And he will stop at nothing until he gets her to use her powers- willingly- to his own ends. He wants her for himself. He wants her to hurt people. Juliet knows what she has to do. She would never hurt anyone on purpose. There is only one. option. Escape.

My favorite thing about this book has to be the author's style of writing. It is so poetic. The way Juliet uses the number to relay her story just stick with you. I loved the way the author told the story. I kept repeating my favorite sentences in my head- I loved them so much. I love the way they sounded. It was like reading an epicly awesome Book and an Epicly awesome poem at the same time. I absolutely positively CANNOT WAIT for Unravel Me. I might seriously wither away before then. seriously. CANNOT WAIT. C.A.N.N.O.T W.A.I.T. *sigh* but i guess i have to. now to acquire a hard copy of this book............so i can hold its magnificence. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

WE CRAVE INTERACTION. Well, that sounded desperate..lol.. ;) Leave a comment, crack a joke, ask a question, or just share something fun. Don't matter to us... as long as there is no SPAM or HATE. ): Unless it's the food- spam. We love that....